Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A whole blog dedicated to Cody, WY

Current mileage: 3200 miles
Current location: At a Denny's in Great Falls, Montana
Day # 13 of the no expectation vacation
I decided a whole blog had to be dedicated to the City and most importantly the people of Cody, WY. If you read my last blog you will know that on Saturday night I slept in a rest area in Grey Bull, WY. I had decided before I left Atlanta, GA  that I would like to try and attend church in whatever city I may be in on Sundays. Didn't matter what kind of church or denomination, I just wanted to attend. When I woke up on Sunday morning I went into the building that Wyoming called a "rest area" to freshen up. There was no electricity to freshen up, or to boil my hot water to make breakfast, so I decided to just get in the jeep and get to the next big town that would end up being Cody, Wyoming.  When I arrived in Cody, I was on the lookout for anything that looked like a church. I had planned on finding a church, and then finding a place to freshen up, and then go back to church. Well I should know by this point, nothing goes as planned. It was a little harder to find a church than expected. But I did see a couple walking with what looked like a bible. I did a U-turn caught up to them (which later they told me, they thought I was trying to run them over) rolled down my window and asked them if they knew of a church in the area. To my surprise they were headed to church, matter of fact it started in 5 minutes, and they invited me to attend with them. Great I was thinking, I still needed to freshen up! I had not even brushed my teeth, but then decided God didn't care what I looked like, or for that matter he didn't even care if I had stinky breath. So I decided to put a piece of extra gum in my mouth, grabbed my bible and went in with Jim and Mary. The church ended up being a satellite church that was broadcasting from Billings, MT named Harvest church, and was very similar to the church I just started attending in Atlanta, so I felt very comfortable there. Jim and Mary had taken my under there wing and were so kind to me. I had told them of my travels, and they told me about themselves. They owned a Bed and Breakfast in town, and offered for me to stay or at least shower there if I like. I couldn't resist the opportunity to get to know these wonderful people and explore a town that otherwise I would have just driven thru. After we left church they showed me to their bed and breakfast and told me they had a function to attend and they would love for me to attend as well. I was just going along with the flow and they told me that we were going to a thank you brunch at a multi-million dollar ranch. WHAT??? I haven't even showered, brushed my teeth or anything, talk about trying to be comfortable with yourself... Ends up that Mary is on a committee that helps the local Museum (which is an awesome place in CODY) and one of the biggest contributors was having a thank you brunch. So, Jim, Mary, Wendy (Mary and Jim's daughter in-law) and Wendy's mother (whom was visiting from Dallas, TX) and myself are headed to this ranch for brunch..Oh my goodness I needed to pinch myself!

A view from the table at "brunch"
Come to find out I am having brunch with some of the most wealthy people in Wyoming. Their eldest and most beloved senator was there. The Governor was there. The best part was when we walked in we had our choice of a mimosa of bloody mary. I immediately went for the bloodymary to forget that I was #1 under dressed (matter of fact in the same outfit I was in the day before) #2 that I had not showered, #3 I just like bloody marys, especially ones that are handed to me as soon as I walk into a place. We sat down and ate a wonderful brunch, as I imagined life as a ranchette (not even sure if that is a word) Seems to me that there sure is a lot of money in ranching from my first experience. Although Jim and Mary informed me that this is not normal!



Jim, Mary, Wendy, and (Wendy's mother from Dallas) at brunch

I later find out that Wendy has just moved to Cody from Florida, Brett (Mary's son) was born and raised here and Cody is actually the place that they met. Twenty years ago Wendy came to Cody and was a nanny for a wealthy family, and this is where she and Brett met. Pretty cool story to me! So this was Wendy's first month back in Cody. All of the people are very proud of their museum, for great reason! Cody has a lot of history pertaining to the Wild Wild West. See Cody is named after Buffalo Bill. He named the city after himself, and as Wendy says "he was a pretty cocky guy!" Wendy volunteered to take me to the museum for a couple of hours, and it was great!! They have five parts: Nature (stuffed animals and such) Indian (a tribute to the Indians, and their artifacts) Buffalo Bill ( alot of his outfits and memorabilia) Firearm, and also an art exhibit. I will have to agree with Wendy, in saying it is very well put together and can compete with museums around the country. I thank Wendy for letting me experience that!
 



Bronze artwork from museum


Painting from museum..Beautiful!


Buffalo Bill and myself outside of museum
 If all this was not enough, I went back to the B&B and had great conversation with Jim about Yellowstone. Jim had done a week long trek with two other guys thru Yellowstone and he showed me on the map. He had great reason to be proud of that trip. He then showed me all the clippings about bears in the area. Jim keeps all the newspaper articles about bears. Wow, I was a little nervous after looking at some of the articles. It was really nice conversing with Jim. I went to shower and later Mary, Jim, another guest named Terri and myself walked to the local Mexican restaurant and had dinner. It was a great eve to the day that would be my birthday! Tomorrow. The very next morning I woke up a little early and  went on a bike ride took pictures around town. Mary had told me to be back around 800am for breakfast. Ahhh, what I came back to was pure bliss! A artichoke souffle, with cheese, egg, and sour cream on top, fresh cut peaches, coffee, orange juice. If that couldn't be beat, Mary brought out my souffle with a candle on top and the three women at the table sang happy birthday to me.


 It still brings a tear to my eye to think of the kindness of these women. Somehow when talking about my trip she had remembered that today was my birthday. Ahhh no better place to celebrate it! After breakfast I showered and walked to the local wine shop to buy Mary and Jim a bottle of wine and a Thank you card, it was the LEAST I could do! They will never know how welcome they made me feel while I was out on my no-expectation vacation, and I will be forever grateful. I only hope to possess the same kindness that I found in the town of Cody, WY a place that will forever be etched in my heart! Below I have pictures posted of the town and of the Lambright B&B. If you are ever in Cody, WY try and make it a point to stay there. Not only is it a cool town, close proximity to Yellowstone, but Jim and Mary make it all worth while and it is always cool to support the small owned business and the local economy!

My beautiful room at the B&B


Taz or chaz not sure but the B&B cat


Irma hotel built by Buffalo Bill and named after his daughter




Breakfast time at the B&B





farewell picture with Mary and Jim


Mary and Jim aka the kindest people in Cody, WY

After saying our farewells, I had decided that since I was this close that I would spend a day in Yellowstone. If I drove this far I might as well at least drive thru the park. So I left  Cody and headed towards Yellowstone! The views leaving Cody were AWESOME!



This day was September 27, 2010 my 29th Birthday and I was headed towards Yellowstone to spend my birthday there. Sounded like a pretty good present to myself! Til next time Peace and Love ~KT~

3 comments:

  1. damn K.T. didn't know you had it in ya. I think I'm learning more about you then I do talking with you. You write well and take good photos too.
    Happy Birthday! Hope the rest of the trip is as fun as the first part.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. Sounds like your trip is going quite well. I think it's just great! I'd say Cody WY was a definite highlight on this journey, one which I can't imagine ever forgetting. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey K.T. It was great to meet you as well... keep in touch! ...and I am really enjoying your blog!

    ~Wendy

    ReplyDelete