Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Time to leave the family and hit the road

Current mileage: 1316 miles
Current location: Rest Area outside of Des Moines, Iowa
Day # 6 of the no expectation vacation

This morning started off great. My sister and I went to the Waffle House and had breakfast. It was time to finally get out the atlas and decide which route I was going to take. Up to this point, I knew that I was heading West, but I was not so sure which way. Last minute decision, I decided to head out to Indianapolis to surprise Rusty my nephew (Karen's son) and his baby boy. I had needed to get my tires rotated for the long trip, so it was an added bonus that my nephew works at Sears Automotive. I could surprise him, get some quality time with my great nephew, and get my tires rotated.

My sister and I said our goodbyes and as she walked me to my jeep one of her pets decided that he wanted to come along with me. Poor little Rocky was ready to go! I headed on 70W towards Indy and made it there just in time as my nephew was getting off of work. His girlfriend Julia was gracious enough to meet us there with their little man Colton. Colton is my great nephew and I personally think that he is the cutest thing ever.....I mean ever!

I had not seen him in over a year so it was really nice to spend some time with them, even if it was for only an hour! I had enough time to spoil him like a great aunt should. I took him to the mall while we were waiting on the car, got him some lunch, put him on the kiddie rides, got him a balloon (which was a BIG HIT) and gave him just about anything he wanted (Sorry Rusty) cause that little face is just too precious! It was really great to see them, and it was good for the soul.......

After Colton gave me my good bye hugs I then again had to decide how I was going to head to
Bismark, ND. I think that I had underestimated how far it was from Indy, but I got on the road and headed West on 74, straight thru the farm country of Indiana and Illionis. I was told not to take this route on the account of boredom, but I seldom listen, and I have never driven thru the corn fields. Well, I can now say that I have been there and done that. And yes, all there is to look at it corn fields. I now understand why John Deere is so popular in Moline. I found it tempting, to stop and get a discounted room, as I passed some of the hotels that I stay in while flying, but decided that would take away from the adventure!  The drive was not all boring. I actually captured some of the prettiest pictures. I have seen sunsets all over the world, but this was a first watching the sun go in the corn fields, and let me tell you, it was AMAZING. These pictures speak louder than words, and makes you believe in the power above!

I drove as far as I could tonight without pushing myself. I was starting to get tired, so I pulled over so I could relax and blog. Tonight is the first night that I am sleeping in my car. I actually think that it is going to be quite comfortable, as I lay here blogging from the back of my jeep. Pretty cool what one can do with a net book and a wireless card. Til next time Peace and love~KT~

No comments:

Post a Comment