Saturday, September 25, 2010

Bismark, North Dakota fun with Wayne!

Current mileage: 2626 miles
Current location: At a camp ground near Mount Rushmore
Day # 9 of the no expectation vacation

I arrived in Bismark, ND late Tuesday night. Wayne met me at the exit and I followed him to his mothers house. We said our hello's and then I went to bed...I was tired! I was glad that Wayne had some appointments in the morning cause this was the no expectation vacation and I was hoping to sleep in a little. When I finally did get up and ready Wayne took me all around Bismark. We started out eating at Wayne's favorite place. For all of those who know Wayne, he is a very picky eater, so I had to go to the place that Wayne said had the best hamburger.  He was pretty dead on, and the onion rings were to die for!!!! And the best part......when you sit down at the table you had to order your food from a phone....FUN!!

    

It was a great lunch, so if you are ever in Bismark, ND make sure you stop by!



After that wonderful lunch Wayne took me around Bismark to show me some of his history. He showed me the first laundry mat that he opened ( a story between he and I) an old timer car that he owns, he showed me the old house he used to live in. It was really nice to see Wayne's "story"!




Wayne than took me to the most famous landmark in Bismark. Fort Abraham Lincoln. It is where General Custer's house is located. I do not know all the history but from what I gathered,  Custer was sent  out here to guard the railroad workers from attacks from the Indians and to try and keep the peace. The house is massive and impressive and the land surrounding was beautiful. It was a sight to see, and a great part of History!

 But I have to admit the best part of the trip was the home cooked food by Erma (Wayne's mother) He had asked me if I would like an authentic meal from Erma while I was there and I said sure! They picked pigs-n-the-blanket. To me a pig-n-the-blanket was a hot dog wrapped in biscuit dough. But that is not at all what I got! It was a yummy and delicious cabbage roll with meat, rice, onion, garlic, and seasoning topped with a tomato sauce. Yummm-my! Wayne and I had been out for maybe five hours total, and dinner was ready for us when we arrived back. If pigs-n-the-blanket were not enough, Erma than brought out dessert. Fresh Apple pie (crust made from scratch) and fresh Pumpkin pie (cause it is Wayne's favorite) then she brought out fresh whipped cream...... WHAT? Fresh cream? Does this happen anymore? I was starting to think that Erma new a lot more than Martha Stewart. I was amazed that she did all of this in the time we were gone, and my tummy Thanked her!
 It was a great two days in Bismark, ND to see Wayne, and to see where he comes from and most of all to meet his mother Erma. It will be a memory that I will keep and treasure forever. I really enjoyed the time with them.


I than dropped Wane off at the airport and headed towards Mount Rushmore! Til next time Peace and Love ~KT~



No comments:

Post a Comment