Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day Jack Edward Neeley

Original crest toothpaste, zest soap, finesse shampoo, and colgate original, are all things that remind me of my father, Jack.
I have never seen the man chew a piece of gum in all my 31 years. He likes tomatoes, but hates ketchup.
He can make a bed better than most women, all thanks to his time in the Air Force.
He loves fast cars (especially Fords), motorcycles, and airplanes.
My father taught me to ride a motorcycle.

When I was in junior high and high school  I would "sneak" to his bathroom to "borrow" his shaving cream if I was out. Nine times out of ten I would "forget" to put it back. It normally made my dad furious. Understandably. As I got older, I became more wise. In college and even now I sometimes have to "borrow" my dads shaving cream. I use it, and put it back in the same spot. Exactly the same spot. See Jack is pretty meticulous about his things. He somehow still knew that I had borrowed his shaving cream. My mom finally let me in on the secret. I had not properly washed around the spout...What was she talking about?? It wasn't like I left a big glob of shaving cream on the can? While my dad was in the Air Force, he was also taught that the can was not clean unless you had properly washed out the spout where the shaving cream is dispensed. There must be no sign of shaving cream.. WOW... I finally knew, how Jack Neeley knew.. A habit that he has kept for over forty years.

My senior year of High School, my father was given an award at my soccer banquet. Presented to him from the principal Mr. Anderson. Most defensive parent of the year.. You ask why? For the number of soccer games he was asked to leave by the referee. Totally embarrassing at the time. Really funny fourteen years later.

I write this letter about Jack Neeley, because you never know how long one will have the opportunity to tell their parent how much they mean. My father was the first man that taught me about respect, and dignity. I swore he would be my lifeline on Who wants to be a Millionaire. The man knows a little bit about everything. He gave me every opportunity to succeed in life. He watched me silently from afar fail and make bad choices, and was there to pick me up. Sometimes knowing that an "I told ya so" was not even needed. I had learned, it had hurt, and he was still there.

This past year has been difficult to say the least. I want my dad to know that I love him not only today but every day, and I am sorry for the thirty one years that I have been a brat. :) But I'm his Brat! Mom swore if she had it to do all over again, my name would be Jackie. Love ya DAD!


This picture was taken last year on a cruise. My dad put  guys half his age to shame with his boogie boarding skills!!


No comments:

Post a Comment